Monday, December 15, 2008

One of our many traditions...

One thing we love about Christmas are the many traditions that each of our families has. Now that we are married, we try to incorporate traditions for both sides of our family. We always have cheese and chocolate fondue on Christmas Eve while watching a Christmas movie (I always vote for 'Elf'). After Midnight, we get to open just one of our gifts, which always turns out to be new pyjamas. My absolute favorite family tradition started about 18-19 years ago. Each Christmas morning, my sister and I receive a Christmas tree decoration in our stockings. My Mum spends all year trying to find the perfect Christmas tree ornament. Many of the decorations are found during vacations or business trips, for she always tries to get the decorations from unique and interesting places. I thought I would share a few of my favorites with you.

This is the tree decoration that started the tradition 18-19 years ago. The decoration is an actual snow globe that has a small Santa inside. The Santa inside is starting to fade a little due to age, but I still love it. My Mum bought this decoration in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I would have to say that it is one of my favorites. I still remember opening this parcel - it is very special to me. (Sorry for the blurry picture, but this is the best I could do).



In 1992, we took our first family vacation to America. I had never been to the United States before, so I was quite excited. We spent two weeks in Orlando, Florida, and then spent one week in the Philadelphia area visiting family. During our trip, my parents picked up this ornament. When I opened up the parcel on Christmas morning I was instantly reminded of the wonderful vacation we had shared.




In 1994, I received a Snow White tree ornament. I was 11 years old when I received this ornament and I just loved the pictures that encircle the bauble. I believe this ornament also came from Edinburgh, Scotland.






In 1995 (ish?), my Dad went on a business trip to Israel and my Mum went along. While my Dad worked, my Mum travelled around the country and saw many of the historical sites. During a trip to Bethlehem, my mum found this beautiful Christmas ornament. I think is it special because of the scene it depicts, but I think it is extra special because it actually came from Bethlehem. If I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be this ornament.



I received this wind chime ornament the last Christmas I spent in Scotland. My Mum brought it for me in my hometown of Kirkcaldy, and I think this is why it is so special to me. Every time someone walks by the tree it makes the most beautiful sound - having 2 dogs and 1 cat constantly running around means I get to hear it every few minutes.





In 2006, Josh and I received our first ornaments are a married couple. We received a gingerbread couple and a heart marking our first Christmas together. I think the gingerbread couple are absolutely adorable, and we always make sure that they are hung on the tree together. What makes them even better is that they smell like actual gingerbread!


We are thankful for the traditions that our families have given us and we look forward to continuing them with our own family.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

1 comments:

claire @ a peachtree city life said...

Cute :) The wooden one from Israel - we stole two little nativity table top things just like that from Tony's parents. I wonder if they are from the same area???