Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day 2009

It is hard to believe that we have been married almost 3 years and together 6 years, yet we have never spent Valentine's Day together. It was even more special that it fell on a Saturday, so we got to spend the entire day together. We decided that we would celebrate Valentine's Day, but also celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary a little early. We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary early, for Josh will be in Afghanistan in June. We celebrated the day by doing what we love the most - we hung out just the two of us in our home! We had planned on going out to dinner, but instead we decided to avoid the crowds and I made dinner.

Since we were staying-in, I decided to go all out and try two new recipes: Chianti-Braised Short Ribs and Scalloped Potatoes and Zucchini. I found both of the recipes in the March 2009 issues of Rachael Ray's magazine 'Everyday'. If I do say so myself - our dinner was absolutely delicious!!



I want to point out the beautiful flowers that my wonderful Husband surprised me with - I really did marry a great man!

I made a surprise dessert for Josh. I racked my brain all day trying to think of what Josh would want for dessert. During my trek around the grocery store, I was struck by a stroke my genius - ice-cream sandwiches! Josh loves ice-cream sandwiches, so I bought white chocolate, macadamia nut self-bake cookies and vanilla ice-cream. As a garnish, I dipped fresh strawberries in white chocolate - yum! As a special touch I cut the cookies into hearts - Josh loved it!


As always, I only got Josh a card and he absolutely spoiled me. Josh gave me a ring that matches my wedding set. So, I got a third ring for our third anniversary - I absolutely love it!



He also got me an especially thoughtful gift - a subscription to '4 Seasons Wine Club'. I absolutely love all types of wine! So, for the enitre time Josh will be deployed I will have an ample supply of wine - haha! I will have enough wine to last me a quite while. I will get a new shipment every day 90 days, so I am going to need someone to visit and help me drink it (hint, hint - Jeana/Chris, Claire, Gina, Josie, Jessica, Molly...)


Despite the food and the gifts, we had a great day together. I know some people do not believe in Valentine's Day, but with deployments and full-time jobs it is great to have one whole day together to celebrate our love. We are truly blessed in our marriage!

2 comments:

Krysann Joye said...

Beautiful! I am so jealous of your cooking skills! lol It looks like you guys had a wonderful day. :-) And Happy Early Anniversary!!

Josie said...

That's an amazing gift! I finally started to drink wine! I know, I know...the sky is falling! :)

I found out that I typically enjoy reds more than white, though I would like it more if they were cold. Oh well!

I would be more than happy to help you with your supply when you come down to Ga! :)