Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring has truly sprung in NC

So, since Josh left for Afghanistan I have been looking for activities to distract me from his absence. I have been trying to develop hobbies that do not involve sitting in front of the TV. Recently, I have been spending a lot of time in the yard, for the weather is just too beautiful to sit inside. I have really started to enjoy gardening, and I am pleased to say that I think my notoriously brown thumb may actually have a slight tinge of green to it now. It is a lot of work to keep even my tiny yard looking good, but I have to say that I am really quite pleased with the results so far.


Jasmine

Pansies



Petunias





Day Lily



Our back deck is a working progress. The deck took a beating during the winter and I plan on power-washing, staining, etc., but I thought a few planters may help brighten the area up in the meantime.




My next endeavor was to begin a herb garden. I spend around $10 a week at the grocery store buying fresh herbs, so I am excited that I grow my own now(afterall, I am a tree-hugger at heart). I also had to use window planter, otherwise my doggies would use the herds as a salad buffet. I am quite pleased with the results so far. I found the plant stakes while wandering around the annual pottery festival in Sanford - I love them!



More picture to follow when I finally finish my deck makeover.

Glad I may have found a hobby that is also productive, and I am sure Josh will appreciate all the work when he finally gets to see it:)

2 comments:

claire @ a peachtree city life said...

so cute!! i'm so jealous you are actually able to grow things -- roxy makes quick work of anything that goes in our backyard! i love the jasmine you have - i've been wanting to plant some of that. can't wait to see the spruced up deck :)

Anonymous said...

The plants look wonderful! I'm glad you have found a productive hobby while Josh is away. He will truly appreciate your hard work!